As a general rule, if you discuss, criticize or analyze the excerpt, a good rule of thumb is to obtain permission if the discussion is longer than 400 words per excerpt or 800 cumulative words per article.
Articles in this section
- How do I reference a source or cite previously published material in my article?
- How do I attribute credit for material republished from journal articles?
- How do I attribute credit for images, figures or tables from another source?
- Do I need permission if the material I am using has been modified or adapted?
- Do I need permission if I am only using an excerpt or limited portion of the original article?
- How would I know who owns the copyright on materials that were adapted from another source?
- If I am the author, do I need to obtain permission to reuse or republish my individual materials that were published by the Academy of Management?
- What is a Derivative Work?
- Can I post my manuscript on the internet?
- If my dissertation has been published by a commercial or university publisher can I still submit it to the Academy of Management as a new, original work?