As a general rule, if you discuss, criticize or analyze the excerpt, a good rule of thumb is to obtain permission if the discussion is longer than 400 words per excerpt or 800 cumulative words per article.
Articles in this section
- INTERNATIONAL REPUBLICATION Outside the United States (b) How do I obtain permission to reprint Academy materials if I am not from the United States?
- How do I obtain permission to republish Academy of Management materials?
- Why and when is it necessary to seek permission?
- Are there any copyright exceptions which may apply?
- What is considered one-time classroom use?
- What is fair use?
- What is considered public domain? Are items that are posted to free Internet sites considered public domain?
- Do I need permission if the material is featured free of charge on the internet?
- Do I need permission if the material I am using has been modified or adapted?
- Do I need permission if I am only using an excerpt or limited portion of the original article?