The Academy of Management (AOM) now offers the RightsLink service to conveniently meet most of your licensing needs for material published by the AOM. Simply visit http://journals.aom.org, search and select the desired journal content, and click the Permissions Tab.
You can also visit the Copyright Clearance Center:
Copyright Clearance Center
222 Rosewood Drive
Danvers, MA 01923
Phone: (978) 750-8400
Fax: (978) 750-4470
Additional requests can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or to
Permission is required for the following:
• Republication of one article element (table, figure, graph, scale, or instrument)
• Republication or reuse of any AOM content in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC)
• Republication of full articles or book chapters to another work
• Article translations
• Reproduction of articles for coursepacks, electronic coursepacks, distance-learning courses, electronic reserves
• Consecutive text extracts of more than 400 words in an article or book chapter
• Multiple text extracts that total more than 800 words per article or book chapter
• Reuse of content from the AOM website
• Content essential to the integrity of the previously published article or book chapter when reuse could compromise the sale of the original AOM publication, including but not limited to text, figures and tables.
Permission is NOT required for the following:
• One time classroom usage [refer to FAQ question] for full-time matriculated students enrolled at an academic institution in a credit bearing program, including usage of AOM content in a dissertation as long as the dissertation is not sold for commercial distribution and/or monetary gain. Appropriate citation must be clearly given to the original work.
• "Fair Use", [refer to FAQ question] broadly defined as use of small amounts of text (i.e. consecutive text of less than 400 words, or 800 words from a single article) for the purposes of criticism or comment of the article in question, provided that the new work (article or chapter) does not become a substitute for, or make the purchase unnecessary of the original copyrighted work. Citation to the original source must be provided.
• Republication of article abstracts. Appropriate citation to the original content must be clearly provided.
• Authors of the original content in AOM publications do not need permission to: (1) Make and distribute copies, of all or part of the manuscript, for the Author(s), own use in teaching, research or for internal distribution within the institution/company that employs the Author(s), provided that such copies are not resold. (2) • The right to use, after publication in the journal, all or part of the material from the manuscript in a book or collection of works in which you are the Author(s) or Editor(s). (3) The right, after publication of the journal, to post your manuscript to your individual website or personal university website.
• Reproduction of AOM materials for use by blind or other people with disabilities. It is not an infringement of copyright for an authorized entity to reproduce or to distribute copies of a previously published work if such copies are reproduced or distributed in specialized formats exclusively for use by blind or other persons with disabilities.
The Academy of Management does not grant permission for the following:
• Posting of full text AOM articles or book chapters to a commercial database.
• Posting of full text AOM articles or book chapters to university or commercial electronic archives.
• Republication or posting of AOM articles or book chapters to university compilations of material that showcase works created by university authors.
• Unlimited distribution of Academy articles and book chapters via email or facsimile.
• Posting of AOM articles or book chapters to a listserv.
• Translation of more than three articles from a single issue of an AOM publication.
• For any of the following language in a permission request:
--- "all media"
--- "now known or hereafter devised"
--- "without limitation"
The Academy of Management may grant permission on a case-by-case basis for the following.
In all cases below, explicit written permission must be obtained from the designated Academy of Management publisher representative. Please contact email@example.com for details.
• Posting of AOM articles or book chapters to the internet or intranet via a password protected website.
• Limited distribution of Academy articles or book chapters via email.
• Translation of AOM articles or book chapters on a continuous basis.